As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Found in the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797 — sort of debunks the idea held by many Conservatives that the United States was founded on Christian principles.
23 Notes/ Hide
- mademoisellealiyah reblogged this from matthewkeys
- mademoisellealiyah likes this
- haveheart13 likes this
- obtusegenius likes this
- radfuckingsteez likes this
- ilyagerner likes this
- powlsy likes this
- flufflogic reblogged this from matthewkeys
- flufflogic likes this
- acontinuation reblogged this from matthewkeys
- matthewkeys posted this