This is Sgt. Paul Sasse, a veteran of the Iraq war.
In 2007, Sgt. Sasse was hit by a roadside. A traumatic brain injury led the U.S. Army to diagnose Sgt. Sasse with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Army doctors treated Sgt. Sasse’s PTSD with a concoction of drugs that made the veteran manic. Sgt. Sasse struggled with memory loss, depression, nightmares and fits of rage.
A few weeks after Army doctors started their treatment, Sgt. Sasse lashed out at his wife and a military police officer. The Army put Sgt. Sasse in a jail cell; for months, he sat incarcerated despite the military’s failure to press charges against him.
Sgt. Sasse was taken off all his medications, a practice the FDA warns against. While he was incarcerated, Sgt. Sasse began having delusions that the Army had locked him in an Iraqi prison. Sgt. Sasse lashed out at guards, earning him three criminal charges and nine months in solitary confinement.
An Army judge ruled in September 2012 that Sgt. Sasse was not mentally competent to stand trial. Sgt. Sasse was flown to a military psychiatric hospital in North Carolina.
For two months, Sgt. Sasse received medical treatment. In November 2012, doctors said Sgt. Sasse was competent enough to stand trial. Sgt. Sasse was thrown back in jail.
Medical experts continue to argue that Sgt. Sasse still needs extensive psychiatric treatment for his PTSD. A defense attorney says “his confinement is tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment.”
The Army has upheld their decision to prosecute Iraqi war veteran Sgt. Sasse. If convicted, he could face over 40 years in prison.
349 Notes/ Hide
- fit4purpose likes this
- barecowboy likes this
- firesparks9000 likes this
- mark-d-lee likes this
- sparks289 likes this
- militarymencollection reblogged this from militarymencollection and added:
- karlos619 likes this
- ptsd-life-2014 reblogged this from matthewkeys
- ur-goingnowhere likes this
- ur-goingnowhere reblogged this from faithless-sunday
- faithless-sunday reblogged this from matthewkeys
- runaway-train-hopper likes this
- thedestroyerofworlds likes this
- jaehaerys1 likes this
- j4s0nd4v1s reblogged this from idontmakemonkeys
- for-chips-and-for-freedom reblogged this from idontmakemonkeys
- idontmakemonkeys reblogged this from capitalismconcarne
- capitalismconcarne reblogged this from mollypoppins88
- thecrankyconservative likes this
- its-notmytime likes this
- tattoooedhands reblogged this from 14kpussy
- tattoooedhands likes this
- abeautifulapocalypse likes this
- ryffraff reblogged this from justawhitedick
- ryaevelon reblogged this from fir3bird21
- awfulbeautifulllifeeee reblogged this from alexbbypls
- fir3bird21 reblogged this from xosheilabear
- 14kpussy reblogged this from truelovealwaysandforever
- herbtastic-guru reblogged this from ancap-curt
- ednitah reblogged this from livingourlovesong
- ednitah likes this
- the-electric-boogaloo likes this
- the-electric-boogaloo reblogged this from higher-frequency
- truelovealwaysandforever reblogged this from livingourlovesong and added:
- chargerstatic0621 reblogged this from alexbbypls
- higher-frequency reblogged this from justawhitedick
- jenkinssemperfi08 reblogged this from alexbbypls
- justawhitedick reblogged this from earthisalie
- association-of-free-people reblogged this from ancap-curt and added:
- dearestvictoria reblogged this from mollypoppins88
- pnw-cowboy likes this
- xosheilabear reblogged this from livingourlovesong
- ifyoucouldseemenoww reblogged this from alexbbypls
- callmeforest likes this
- association-of-free-people likes this
- alexbbypls reblogged this from livingourlovesong
- alexbbypls likes this
- lifelove-liberty reblogged this from mollypoppins88
- livingourlovesong reblogged this from mollypoppins88